Sunday, April 19, 2009

Groezrock weekend

I just got home from Groezrock Festival in Belgium. It was a fucking hoot. I left on Thursday afternoon with the Epitaph crew, dropped by the warehouse and picked up a heap of shit to sell and then drove to Belgium. Saw the "Spare Rib Express", got in to the hotel and hit the bar. I got drunk on Duvel beer and had some nice beer brewed at a local monastery as well as a cherry beer called Kriek. I got to sleep in a bed for the first time since I left Australia over two months ago... It was amazing. Double bed. Nice pillows. A room with a door! Huzzah!









We left the hotel on Friday morning into some seriously cold and shitty weather. All day it was around 12 degrees. Loaded in to the market stall area after we got lost trying to find the parking area. I took a few photos of the area before the mongrel children got in and ripped it to pieces. Friday was pretty chill because the doors to the festival opened at 5pm. Hung out with a few people I hadn't seen in a long time and made some new friends.

On Friday I saw:
United Nations - Only their second show ever - was short and fucking rad. Daryl Palumbo wasn't there. Ben from Converge is an amazing drummer.
Poison The Well - Awesome as always. New stuff sounds good. Drummer is great.
Thursday - Seemed happier and to play better than the last couple of times I've seen them. New stuff live is awesome.
Taking Back Sunday - Hadn't seen them since 2006. Super rad. Adam climbed a giant scaffolding and hung upside down for most of the last song. Epic.
Amen Ra - Holy fuck. So incredible. They are from Belgium and played the small stage in complete darkness except for small fluorescent lights on their guitar pedals. I think they are one of the loudest bands I have ever seen. Completely fucking epic.
Bring Me The Horizon - Kids really, really, really like this band. Really.



United Nations

Thursday

Saturday! Woke up a little hung over. Got to the festival just after 10am. Loaded in, went to find the Comeback Kid guys. By the time I had walked to see them and walked back to the second stage Outbreak had started and finished their set. Bummer. Saw lots of friends that I hadn't seen since I'd left London in 2007. Hung out and worked a bit at the Epitaph stand - luckily there were a few of us working so we took shifts and got to hang for the rest of the day. I didn't really take many photos - a lot of videos though. I can't be fucked uploading them at the moment, but I will hopefully get around to it at some point.

On Saturday I saw:
Death Before Dishonor - Heavy mosh. Dudes getting carried out on stretchers from the tent.
Bane - The first time I'd ever seen them play. Well worth the wait. Really fucking cool and dude had shit to say that made sense and wasn't the regular hardcore bullshit banter.
Misery Signals - Any friends of Amity are bound to become new friends of mine. Great dudes. Kids were psyched on them as well.
The Ghost Of A Thousand - Holy shit. They've gotten better since I last saw them at Download in 2007. Can't wait to see them 4 nights in a row next month.
First Blood - FUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!! So heavy. Completely epic. No RAMBO prints on their merch though. Bummer.
No Fun At All - Old dudes. Decent live. Never really got too into them, so probably didn't appreciate it as much as some others would have.
The Get Up Kids - The band I was looking forward to the most out of the whole weekend. They were brilliant. Played Ten Minutes, Red Letter Day, covered The Cure, played a heap of old stuff and finished with Walking On A Wire... It was a bit of an anti-climax I think finishing with such a mellow and drawn out song, but they were fucking rad nonetheless! They are probably coming back to Europe in July/August and want to do Australia this year as well. Rob told me that Brisbane is his favourite city in Australia. Maybe he was drunk...
NOFX - I watched the Backstage Passport DVD with Anna and Scrad before I left Australia which rekindled my love for NOFX. I think there were about 50 people on the side of the stage watching them play. Fat Mike is a funny dude. They definitely played the hits.
Bleeding Through - Biggest circle pit of the day that I saw. Rise was epic.
Comeback Kid - Only saw the first 4 or 5 songs because The Get Up Kids were starting, but they had the biggest crowd I saw on the second stage for the whole weekend. Rad.


The Get Up Kids



Sunday (today) we drove home from Belgium. Made one emergency stop because someone wasn't feeling too well after last night's after party (it wasn't me thankfully). Got back to the office and loaded the rest of the gear up out of the van. Walked home and then Gijs, Santina and I got a tram to Sammi's place. We met Gijs' other mate Kevin there and I found a bike out the front of a church that we are going to fix up! Stoked.

We then got in Sammi's van and drove to Haarlem to see the Comeback Kid, Misery Signals, Bane, Architects, Outbreak show. Hung out with the CBK dudes which was fun. Outbreak were fucking sweet. Architects were brilliant. Saw the other three yesterday as well, but today was better for Bane I think because the club was more intimate. Mike Raio was riding with Bane and is now hanging in Amsterdam for a few days which will also be a blast. I'm super tired now so I'm going to go to bed.

Got some good news about some work which I will divulge tomorrow. I'm going to be out of Amsterdam for the next month, hopefully for the rest of the Summer!













As you can see in pretty much every photo that I am in, I have been wearing a hat for the past month or so. I need to find a barber. Need a short back and sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment