Monday, March 2, 2009

I kissed Katy Perry...And I liked it

Well I didn't really kiss her, but it would have been nice. I would have liked it...
Here is what happened...

Last night Gaslight Anthem and Polar Bear Club were playing at Melkweg in the smaller room, and Katy Perry was playing in the larger room. Gaslight and PBC were great, and I snuck in to watch a few Katy Perry songs as well. Over all, I had a great time - caught up with lots of people who I hadn't seen since I arrived - might have sorted out some possible tour work and maybe some work in Amsterdam as well...

The bands finish and my friend Ernesto and I were having a beer in the lobby bit of the venue where the coat check and the merch tables were...Out of an elevator pops Katy Perry and (presumably) her two assistants...walks straight towards Ernesto and I...

So before I left Australia, "One Summer Crew" (fucking YES Daryl Braithwaite) were blasting at Helmets house and we had a look at the gig listings for Amsterdam for when I got over here...and who should be playing, but Helmet's Summer '09 crush; Katy Perry. I made a promise to the grizzly little man that day that I would track Katy Perry down and make her phone him.

For reference, here is a photo of Helmet. I miss him a lot!


As luck would have it, she walked straight into my arms.

The following conversation ensued:

Me: "Hey Katy."
Katy: "Yeh? Hi."
Me: "Hey, I saw your show, it was really cool."
Katy: "Oh thanks, that's sweet."
Me: "I'm a sweet guy."
Katy's assistant: "Yeh, so we have to keep going to the cab out the front now."
Me: "Wait, I have a friend at home in Australia who really wanted me to try and meet you and get you to phone him."
Katy: "You're from Australia? I fucking love Australia!"
Katy's assistant: "Yeh, so the cab is out the front."
Me: "We'll just be a second here."

At this point, I already have my phone to my ear waiting for Helmet to pick up...

Me: "So can you say hey to my friend? It's ringing now."
Katy: "OK...oh it went to a voice mail..."
Me: "Can you leave a message?"
Katy: "Sure - Hi...uhm, what's your friend's name?"
Me: "Helmet."
Katy: "Like on your head? OK...Hi Helmet! I'm here in Amsterdam with your friend...what's your name again?"
Me: "Nick."
Katy: "I'm here in Amsterdam with your friend Nick and he wanted me to leave you a message - so hey what's up! Good morning! I wish I could have spoken to you!"
Me: "Thanks! He's going to do things to himself while listening to that voice mail you realise..."
Katy's assistant: "Wow...thanks...we have to go now."
Katy: "Nice to meet you Nick."
Me: "You too Katy - bye bye."

I would love to have heard what Helmet would have said to her had he answered his phone... He tells me he was only seconds away from picking it up. Time differences are a motherfuck.

So that was that. If only Ernesto had come through and taken a photo. Alas. You'll have to take my word for it and hope that Helmet gets around to somehow uploading the conversation so we can all whack off while listening to it!

1 comment:

  1. this defintely beats me getting the less than jake dude to call him hahahaha

    ReplyDelete