Friday, March 6, 2009

I like food, food tastes good

I've travelled as far from Australia as you can go before you start coming back. I'm immersed in a foreign culture and an unfamiliar climate. I "sit on a park bench thats older than my country". All around me fine art adorns the walls of historic buildings. The buildings themselves venerable architectural masterpieces. For centuries Amsterdam has beget poets, artists, musicians, philosophers and other brilliant minds.

It is only fitting then that I pen a blog concerning the preferred food stuffs I've acquired a taste for over the past few weeks. Low brow. Still, who would want to read my opinion on Rembrandt or Caravaggio?

2, 4, 6, 8, blog in, don't wait.


#1 - Party Sticks.
These delicious little guys are simply gerkhins sliced length wise into quarters. I think the appeal lies in the name, because we all know you can get pickles in a jar anywhere in the world, but where the fuck else can you chow down on a party stick?

#2 - Choco Muesli (Master Crumble!)
I stumbled across the poor mans muesli in LIDL the week I arrived. Another brilliant product name - Master Crumble! (I'm quite sure the name is followed by an exclamation point, which makes this cereal especially toothsome). Since then I have stepped it up to other more expensive brands of chocolate infused muesli such as Quaker, Albert Heijn and o'Lacy. However this has not been a gracious choice on my part. LIDL; the poor mans supermache, carries what ever they can get their greasy merchant hands on. They have to ply the bottom feeders with the cheapest products and often times do not replenish stock once it has sold. I speak for Gijs, Santina and myself in saying that we long for the day the Master returns to the shelves and our breakfast (and sometimes mid afternoon) table.

#3 - Strawberry + Orange Juice
My favourite in a series of Albert Heijn exclusive "split" juices. Strawberry and Orange. So simple, yet such a treat for my tastebuds. These fancy fucks are found in the refrigerated section of Albert Heijn which means they are a little more expensive than the other cartons out on the shelves, but goddammit I can taste my extra 25 cents in every drop.

#4 - Stroopwafels
An old favourite of mine. I first encountered the Stroopwafel (English translation is Syrup Waffle) back in 2006. I think they are one of the most famous Dutch treats as most of my friends in the UK used to ask me to bring them back when I would come to Amsterdam. A nice trick with Stroopwafels is to place them on the top of your hot mug of coffee or tea. The heat from your beverage melts the syrup and the snack becomes ten times more delicious.

#5 - Curry Ketchup
You can put this shit on anything. Gijs actually puts it on pretty much anything. The Dutch love to eat fries, and they soak them in either mayonaise, peanut sauce or this spicy liquid. They don't fuck around with the size of the bottle either. I haven't seen one smaller than this juice cannon.

#6 - Pear Icy Poles
Holy Santa shit! Why hasn't someone from Home Ice Cream or Streets or another icecream company in Australia done these? They are without doubt one of the best tasting ice blocks I have ever had. They taste like a really cold pear, on the end of a little wooden stick. Can you taste it right now? Have I whet your appetite? Also - they're like €1.29 for a box of 12. Shit off!

#7 - Capsicum Chips
Santina thought I invented the word Capsicum to try and fool her. I didn't. This is another flavour that the Dutch seem to have conjured while the rest of the world sits eating salt'n'vinegar. Another personal favourite is bolognese chips.

Boring pointless blog. I have one. You read it.

2 comments:

  1. Makes me realise all that wonderful yummieness that we are missing out on! ps I would love to hear your review on Caravaggio or Remebrandt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albert Heijn also has an amazing Black Cherry Smoothy that is packaged in the same fashion as the above juice. It is epic, and rocked my world for the weeks I spent in the mother land. I miss it dearly.

    xTanya

    ReplyDelete