Monday, March 23, 2009

...is ten minutes too far

My friend Abby came to Amsterdam for the weekend. She and Trad were together a few years back and we've been friends ever since. She lives in London now and works in fashion PR. She is a pretty fancy girl and is a lot of fun to hang out with. We used to catch up every now and then when I was living in London, so it was cool to be able to show her around some places here. She stayed with her friend Savvi who works for Nike Europe. Savvi grew up in Melbourne and has lived here for a while now. Her apartment is fucking amazing. Super fantastiche.

Abby

Two more of Abby's friends were in Amsterdam this weekend as well; Emily and Campbell. They are friends of Abby's who have been traveling Europe for the past year or so in a camper van. I'd met Emily years ago but I have a memory like a deflated football, so I didn't really remember her. She is Jesse's sister... That more than likely means nothing to almost everyone who is reading this. In saying that, if you are Leo, Carlos, Trad, Rea or anyone else from Noosa/Sunshine Coast, then you will be able to make all the necessary connections. Emily and Campbell are about to fly back to Australia via Sri Lanka. Rad.

Campbell & Emily

On Saturday the four of us went to the Noord Market (Noord is Dutch for...North), then the three of them went on a guided tour of the red light district and smoked some weed. I don't dig on grass and I have seen the red light district enough, so I went home and fell asleep listening to the new M. Ward record. I'm kicking myself in the face for not going to see M. Ward two weeks ago when I had the chance. Piss. Gijs and Santina came home from work and we cooked some food. I stayed home on Saturday night because I was tired from walking around all day and my cash is really starting to dwindle. I stayed up until 4am and finished the bottle of Jack that I bought duty free, then gave Trad a call. He wasn't easy like Sunday morning like Lionel Richie would have you believe. I woke the wookie.

Let sleepers lie

Princengracht

Jesus & Abby & I

Please rob us

Ummm.... You're white. You can't get a Rasta tattoo... Unless it is meant to be as ridiculous as my Tupac tattoo. I have a feeling she is serious though.

Window shopping

On Sunday we (Abby, Campbell, Emily, Gijs, Santina, Savvi and myself - fuck yes, that list is in alphabetical order - almost) went and had bagels and coffee, then went to the library near Central Station. The library is huge and is pretty magnificent piece of modern architecture. It has a restaurant on the top floor and pretty gnarly views of the city and part of the harbour. No photos this time, I left my camera at home.

Santina and Gijs and Patrick came and visited me at work on Friday. I went for a spin on Santina's bike. I'm going to try and get one this week I think.


Shit I've been getting down with:

Röyksopp - Junior
Only Pat will like this album. Everyone else who even bothers to heed my recommendation will think it is complete Euroswine. Even I'm not 100% convinced yet. We just sat through five of the eleven tracks. Santina wasn't really feeling it. Her favourite band is KISS though, so figure that one out.

Little Miss Sunshine
I watched ten minutes of this movie on the plane from Brisbane to Singapore, but then my TV fucked itself. I just watched the whole thing with Gijs and Santina and I think it is great. My favourite scene might be when the doctor tells the family that the grandpa has died, then says he will get the grief counsellor to come and talk to them about the remains... "LINDA!" Funny shit. Also, the contest is held in Redondo Beach... Morrissey... mmm.

Booker T & The MGs
Dude is a Soul & R'n'B legend from the 60s who is releasing his new album on ANTI. He played Amsterdam last week and I went along to the show with a few people from work. I think Booker T's most famous song is "Green Onions" - I guarantee you know it, just maybe didn't know who wrote it. Anyway, dude was super friendly and extremely intelligent. When I spoke to him, he really seemed to consider every word before he would say it. The guitarist who was playing with him is named Steve Cooder and wrote Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay. We had a good old chat about Guy Sebastian; Australia's favourite Idol. You might remember "our Guy" released a covers album in late 2007? It stormed the charts that Christmas. His voice being that of an angel, carried it on wings, straight off the shelves and into the CD collections of thousands of Australians. Well my mate Coods recorded it for Guy in Memphis or some shit. Anyway, fuck Guy Sebastian, watch Booker laying out some sweet organ work. Another side note, I bought a round of beers during the show which came to €9.20 and I paid with a €20 note. The barman gave me €30.80 in change. Super stoked.

Movie Stills w/ Sub-titles
Gijs and Santina always watch DVDs with the sub-titles on, either in English or Dutch. This results in some interesting screen shots.



Two final things:
1. I'm going to send some postcards soon. If you want one (with a personalised message from myself), then email/msn/aim/myspace/facebook/sms me your address.
2. I'm going to try and grow a mustachio like John Waters. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. Just for your info - it's Steve Cropper, not Steve Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mistake, Sandra. Out of interest, who are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, you hair looks incredible

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should buy a stick on mustachio - it would be quicker, less hassle and you could decide if it goes with/without your outfit when you get up in the morning! haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA "look at those assholes" should be your myspace photo, no, your license photo.

    ReplyDelete